Ocean Sunlight: How Tiny Plants Feed the Seas (Hardcover)
Enticing illustrations and simple text explain how the sun supports life, even in the depths of the ocean. Extensive notes (5-10).
— From Science
In this timely book, acclaimed Caldecott artist Molly Bang and award-winning M.I.T. professor Penny Chisholm use poetic language and dazzling illustrations to introduce the oceanic world. From tiny aquatic plants to the biggest whale or fish, Bang and Chisholm present a moving, living picture of the miraculous balance sustaining each life cycle and food chain deep within our wondrous oceans.
On land or in the deep blue sea, we are all connected--and we are all a part of a grand living landscape. Award-winning scientist Penny Chisholm, a leading expert on oceans, packs Ocean Sunlight with clear, simple science, illuminated by Molly Bang's wondrous illustrations. This informative, joyous book will help children understand and celebrate the astonishing role our oceans play in human life.
About the Author
Molly Bang has written and illustrated more than twenty books for young readers, including When Sophie Gets Angry -- Really, Really Angry... ; Ten, Nine, Eight; and The Grey Lady and the Strawberry Snatcher, each of which were Caldecott Honor books. Bang divides her time between Falmouth, Massachusetts, and Northern California. Penny Chisholm is a professor at M.I.T., where she has been teaching Ecology for more than thirty-five years. Her long list of prestigious awards includes the National Medal of Science, awarded at the White House in 2013.
Praise for LIVING SUNLIGHT: HOW PLANTS BRING THE EARTH TO LIFE:
* "If a good picture book does what it sets out to do, a great one sets out to do something huge and succeeds. . . . An outstanding book to read and absorb."--BOOKLIST, starred review
- "Chisholm, a professor of ecology, expands on the theme [photosynthesis], while the intense greens of Bang's gouaches bring it vibrantly to life."--THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW
- "LIVING SUNLIGHT is less a tutorial on photosynthesis than a magnificent celebration of life."--NATURAL HISTORY
Praise for MY LIGHT:
* "A lovely and illuminating book that presents sound science while expressing the wonder of flipping a switch and flooding a room with light."--BOOKLIST, starred review
- "Bang's imagery and word choice provide a vivid text for her readers. And then there are the illustrations: phenomenal only begins to explain Bang's choices in her use of color and composition. . . . This is a picture book that should be found in all libraries."--CHILDREN'S LITERATURE
05/28/2018 - 9:00am to 7:00pm
06/02/2018 - 10:30am to 11:30am
06/05/2018 - 7:00pm to 8:30pm